Sunday, July 22, 2007

 

Oh it turns you on on, now he has gone, Oh what turns you on now your animal's gone?

Ok, I admit it, I am a twat!

The reason behind that statement is (not just that it's true) because I forgot about Britpop! Jof bought me a book for my birthday called, "The last Party" it's all about the rise and demise of Britpop circa 92-98, it's an unbelievable read!!! Basically it's a million little biography's about each band and how their lives affected each other and the connotations of life as a musical legend!
Reading the book has been a revelation to me and I've had the pleasure to rediscover the era that pretty much shaped my life, I started playing guitar to emulate my heroes and play their songs (then write better ones) the coolest part of it all though is that aside from the Blur / Oasis thing them two are the no brainers of Britpop, I've got right into Suede, I didn't really like Suede first time around, aside from a handful of songs, I just didn't like them, I thought Brett Anderson was a cunt (still do) but the music they made is nothing short of spectacular, Animal Nitrate being my new favourite song (for now), It's a bit of a pain finding the albums for download but I've got a few now, and this rediscovery of it makes me feel like a teenager again, Like I said to jof, I'm gonna go on a diet and buy some skinny rib t shirts, grow my hair long and live a life of Angst, Ok well we all know that's not gonna happen but it's still wikked.
I've never fallen out of love with Louise Wener and Sleeper are a fucking top band, but as I've tried to shy away from the obvious mainstream of Britpop, I've fallen for Justine Frischmann, I don't know what it is about her, but she's fit! I've missed out on her first time round, now I'm well into her, and she's a pretty cool lass from the sound of her in the book. Elasitca were another band I didn't really follow closely back in the day but I've got their album and I love it!! It's really strange and difficult to explain my sheer excitement about Britpop again, but I really loved the era and I feel I am back in that happy frame of mind that I forgot I ever experienced, you can keep your sex, and drugs and booze, just give me the music! the only problem with this 'high' that I'm on is that I know I'm going to come down when the music runs out, they don't make any good golden oldies any more, which means I'm eventually going to go back to being miserable, "was I miserable because I listened to pop music or did the pop music make me miserable?"
I advise all of you to read this book, if you were there on the scene and want some of that magic back, then go do it, or even try a watered down version and check out all the old school Britpop bands on you tube.
I'm going to Coniston next weekend, so I should have another update as soon as I get back, I still get a pat on the back from everyone for my last blog about camping, so lets hope the next one will be just as good.

P.S - Jof you fucking rock!

Watch the Video: Suede - Animal Nitrate.


Comments:
Glad you enjoyed the book me old mate- had pretty much the same effect on me!

:-)
 
I'm just happy this post wasn't about his anus.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?